Skip to main content

Google's Plan To Take Over The TV concept !!

Google is working on Android-based set-top box software with Intel and Sony. It's the latest in Google's ongoing efforts to enter the TV industry.

Here's what we learn from Nick Bilton's article for the Times:

  • Google is working on a platform called Google TV with Sony and Intel.

  • It's based on Google's Android OS, and will be open source.

  • Users will be able to do Web stuff like search, plus watch Web video from sites like YouTube, and maybe Hulu.

  • Google and Intel want to move into the TV business, where they have little presence. Sony wants to compete with Vizio on something other than price.

  • Google wants software companies to write apps for Google TV, the same way they do for Android phones.

  • Logitech is teaming up for peripherals, including a remote with a tiny keyboard.

  • The companies are hiring for Android-related jobs.

  • Google obviously wants to put ads on this system.

  • Google has built a prototype set-top box, but the software might be built straight on to TV sets.

  • Google TV will use a special version of Google's Chrome browser.

  • Sony may develop a new brand for TVs running Google TV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keyboard First Impressions: Kinesis Advantage Mechanical Ergonomic Keyboard

An ergonomic keyboard with mechanical switches that’s looking to attract users interesting in a high quality, highly ergonomic offering and don’t mind the rather steep learning curve or the price. The  TECK  isn’t the only such keyboard, of course, and I decided to see what other mechanical switch ergonomic keyboards I could get for comparison. Next up on the list is the granddaddy of high-end ergonomic keyboards, the  Kinesis Contour Advantage . I wanted to provide my first impressions of the Kinesis, along with some thoughts on the initial switch and the learning curve. This time, I also made the effort to put together a video of my first few minutes of typing. It actually wasn’t as bad as with the TECK, but that’s likely due to the fact that I already lost many of my typing conventions when I made that switch earlier this year. I’ll start with the video, where I take a typing test on four different keyboards and provide some thoughts on the experience, and then ...